Sunday, September 7, 2008

Wildland Fire Early Warning System


Well, this summer has been quite a year for wildland fires. Starting especially on June 21. The foothills and mountains around Redding were dotted with columns of smoke. Within a few days we were covered in that smoke....for a month! So dense we had no open windows at night even when it was cool enough. I have a $225 electric A/C bill to prove it.

So, I have this wildland fire early warning system at my house. Actually everyone in east Redding does. There are days when it sounds like England during WWII to me. I'm sure it's not quite or even close to what those bombers sounded like taking off, scores at a time. But, here at my house when I hear that deep multi propeller drone having just lifted off Redding Municipal Ariport I know there is another wildland fire.

Sometimes only one will take off and it almost goes unnoticed. Once in a while one takes off every five minutes several times during the day. Those are either big fires or endangering structures. Today was one of those days. I'm not sure what time I first took notice today but I did mention it to my wife. Several had taken off within about five minutes of each other. There is a large smoke column to the north.

Since then there have been several more during the day. The last group of four bombers left around 5:00pm. I do know that, since I was trying to get a late afternoon nap. They're really not that loud but I started thinking of a title for my blog!

What a life.....God is good!
Thanks to Steve Hobson for the image: http://steves-digital.net/default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment