Monday, February 16, 2009

Blind Date - Bird Photography Weekly #25


Last Saturday (yes, Valentines Day) I had a blind date in the Delevan National Wildlife Refuge. That's a photography blind date. Doug and I arrived at the parking area a little before 6am. We decided to sit in the truck a few minutes since you don't have to be in the blind until an hour before sunrise, 7:02am on Saturday. Just before six we walked the 150 yards to the blind sign (points to the blind). I looked to the left and saw about forty yards of water between me and the blind. This one is supposed to have a boardwalk to it! The refuge website says there is a boardwalk to it! We came without waders! Neither of us was about to wade out there then sit in a cold blind with wet feet.


Fortunately just before leaving my house I threw my bag containing not one but two pairs of waders in my truck. We were in luck but now were going to be a little late getting in the blind. Not our fault I say! I expected a boardwalk. Doug's feet (size 11) were a little cramped in the neoprene waders stuffed in my spare boots (size 11) with socks too. But he managed to wade out there and took the boots off in the blind.


Speaking of the blind. It is a nice one. I (6' 3" tall) could stand up inside. That is a big improvement over blind #2. There is also lots of room to maneuver our equipment, packs, chairs and somewhat over sized bodies around.


While we were waiting in blind #4 for a photo opportunity this Snow goose wandered along the edge of the tules eating stems. It would stick it's head underwater and grab the stem then jerk the tule back and forth until it came out. Then the goose would eat only the very tip of the stem. Cool behavior to watch.


It was a very overcast and windy day. This was the only bird that came anywhere near enough to the blind for a photograph. But, as usual we had an adventure.


And by the way, I did make it home by 1:00pm to spend time with my wife. We got to babysit our grandson, Jack, overnight. What a blast.

5 comments:

  1. Nice photo of the Snow Goose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm shivering just thinking about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jim, why didn't you tell me you had a blog? When I started to read this post I thought you had driven all the way down there and couldn't get to the blind.

    So their website is wrong? No boardwalk? Lucky for you, you had some with you, otherwise, car tour right?

    Well at least you got to watch the Snow Goose and got a good shot of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Larry, yes the website is wrong: "Proceed east on foot and follow the directional signs along the levee
    road (about 150 yards) until you reach a wooden boardwalk that provides entry to
    the blind". (copied from the website)

    We ended up leaving around 9am and driving the car route once. It was specifically (not generally) a bad day for photography anyway.

    I got a shot of another single snow goose and Red-shouldered hawk on the car route.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Snow Goose photo. Too bad the trip wasn't as productive as you had expected. Well, there's always a next time.

    ReplyDelete